The import requirements for hides and skins can be found in Commission regulation (EU) No 142/2011: annex XIV, chapter II, section 4. You can find summary of the import conditions in the table 2 on the right margin, points 4 and 5.
Hides and skins with no animal health restrictions or import requirements:
There are no animal health restrictions for the following hides and skins (consequently no health certificate or other import conditions) :
- Hides and skins of ungulates which pursuant to the decision of an operator are destined for purposes other than human consumption, and which comply with the requirements of Regulation (EC) No 853/2004 for raw materials for gelatine or collagen intended for use in food may be placed on the market without restrictions in accordance with this Regulation.
- The following treated hides and skins:
- (a) hides and skins having undergone the complete process of tanning
- (b) ‘wet blue;
- (c) ‘pickled pelts’
- (d) limed hides (treated with lime and in brine at a pH of 12 to 13 for at least eight hours).
Definitions of Annex I
- ‘treated hides and skins’ means derived products from untreated hides and skins, other than dogchews, that have been:
- (a) dried
- (b) dry-salted or wet-salted for a period of at least 14 days prior to dispatch
- (c) salted for a period of at least seven days in sea salt with the addition of 2 % of sodium carbonate
- (d) dried for a period of at least 42 days at a temperature of at least 20 °C; or
- (e) subject to a preservation process other than tanning;
- ‘untreated hides and skins’ means all cutaneous and subcutaneous tissues that have not undergone any treatment, other than cutting, chilling or freezing;
Treated hides and skins of ungulates
The import of treated hides and skins of ungulates is allowed from all third countries when treated and kept separated for at least 21 days before import if the consignment is followed by the official declaration set out in Annex XV, Chapter 5(C) from all countries.
In the case of consignments of treated hides and skins of ungulates followed by health certificate model according to Annex XV, Chapter 5(B) the import ís allowed from third countries or parts of third countries listed in Part 1 of Annex II to Regulation (EU) No 206/2010.
Untreated hides and skins
- Untreated hides and skins may be imported if the consignment is followed by health certificate according to Annex XV, Chapter 5(A) from the following countries: a third country, or, in the case of regionalisation in accordance with Union legislation, a part of a third country listed in Part 1 of Annex II to Regulation (EU) No 206/2010, from which Member States authorise imports of fresh meat from the same species.
The establishment of origin
The establishment of origin must be listed in the TRACES-system. Safeguard decisions and CITES-requirements must be followed.