Only authorised claims may be used.
Pursuant to the Regulation on nutrition and health claims, the following health claims shall not be allowed:
- claims which suggest that health could be affected by not consuming the food;
- claims which make reference to the rate or amount of weight loss;
- claims which make reference to recommendations of individual doctors or health professionals and other national associations of medical, nutrition or dietetic professionals and health-related charities not referred to in Article 11.
The Commission expert working group has outlined a policy, wherein the decision on who is considered a health professional must be made on a case-by-case basis. The decision is based largely on the impression made and the message content.
According to Finnish Food Authority's interpretation, the following, for example, can be considered prohibited health claims:
- a health professional talks about the effects of a food product on health or about their own experiences
- a health care student talks about the effects of a food product on health or about their own experiences
- an actor portraying a health professional talks about the effects of a food product on health or about their own experiences