Frequently Asked Questions about Plant Health Traces

Organization management in TRACES NT


How do I get a new TracesNT account?

Each user applies for personal IDs directly from Traces. The first applicant is approved by Ruokavirasto as administrator, others are approved by the company's own administrator.

I have applied for user IDs but have not received a message about them and cannot log into the system. What should I do?                    

The Traces administrator in a company must approve all other Traces users within the company. You should principally contact your company’s Traces administrator and ask for further information. If you yourself are your company’s administrator, i.e. you are the first in your company to apply for Traces user IDs, then you should contact the Finnish Food Authority (

Which function do I choose on TracesNT when applying for Traces IDs?                 

Under activities, all importers of plant products have Plant nurseries (PLANTS) as the section and the plant cultivation or plant rooting function. This is due to technical capabilities of Traces. Freight forwarders under Activities have " Responsible for the load’ (RFL) role ". The additional roles that you can request depend on the role you already have. When you are logged in to TRACES NT, please click on the user icon in the top right corner and then on 'Edit your profile'. Then click on "Request a new role".

I import timber or roundwood. In the Traces system, under ‘Functions’ for my company it reads “Nursery (PLANTS)” or “Plant rooting (PLANTS)”. Should I select/request the wood product import (FLEGT) function for my company?                    

Definitely not. The FLEGT permit system applies to imports from VPA countries (currently only Indonesia). For further information, please see the FLEGT system. The PLANTS function applies to operators as referred to plant health legislation and to the products they import, such as pine (Pinus sylvestris) or spruce (Picea abies) roundwood or sawn timber.

When creating Traces account, our product cannot be found in the menu. Which section and function do we choose?    

Operators importing products requiring a phytosanitary certificate will choose Plant nurseries (PLANTS) as the section and the plant cultivation or plant rooting function.

My company shows up in the Traces system but does not have a ‘Responsible for the load’ (RFL) role. How do I apply for new roles in the system?

You should apply for new roles exactly as for your first role. Choose 'Edit your profile'. Then click on "Request a new role". However, you do not need to start with applying for EU Login user IDs; you can go directly to Traces to apply for the new role.        

For some reason I can't make a CHED-PP certificate. I don't have the "Create" button.                  

Your company probably lacks the ‘Responsible for the load’ role. You should apply for new roles exactly as for your first role. However, you do not need to start with applying for EU Login user IDs; you can go directly to Traces to apply for the new role.       

What information should I report when creating a new entity/company in Traces?                        

See instructions on TracesNT website: Create a new operator in Traces NT.

I'm creating a new company in Traces. It is a Russian wood supplier who sells wood to Finland. Traces' instructions tell to set the identifier of the company INN or EORI. What's the right entry for an INN number?

You can use the national company number field for the INN. Your company should have one identification number.

Does it matter if the sender's information says New or Valid?        

Finnish Food Authority confirms the Finnish companies as valid once the applications have been processed. The status of others will remain New. The status does not affect the use on Traces.


Filling in the the plant health entry document (CHED-PP)


How do I know which CHED type to choose when they are: CHED-A, CHED-P, CHED-D and CHED-PP?               

The documentary model for products of animal origin is CHED-P (Common Health Entry Document for animal Products) and live animals CHED-A (Common Health Entry Document for Animals). In the Traces Classic system, the declaration is called the Common Veterinary Entry Document (CVED). 

For plants, plant products and timber, the document model is CHED-PP (Common Health Entry Document for Plants, Plant Products and Plant propagating material) and the document model for non-animal food and feed is CHED-D (Common Health Entry Document for feed and food of non-animal origin).

Does the number of the phytosanitary certificate have to be declared on the plant health entry document (CHED-PP)?

If you import plants for planting, or timber (except from Russia with supplementary periodic import declarations), you must enter the number of the phytosanitary certificate and attach a scanned copy of it to the CHED. This streamlines the import process, and the consignment will be released to you more quickly.

Does the identifier of the means of transport (e.g. vehicle registration number) must be entered on the plant health entry document (CHED-PP)?

The means of transport is mandatory. The Finnish Food Authority also recommends that the identifier (e.g. vehicle registration number) is used if known in order to relate the goods and the documents together.

Can the plant health entry document (CHED-PP) be created in advance?      

Yes. CHEDs may be copied from previous CHEDs, so that not all information has to be filled in every time. A CHED may also be left in a draft state, to be added later. This means that you can create lots of CHEDs at one time and then validate them one by one as the consignments are imported. 

I've made a CHED, but it's not visible to the authorities. Why?       

You've probably just saved the CHED by pressing "save". CHED will be visible to the authorities when you press the "Send for Validation" button.

How far in advance should the plant health entry document (CHED-PP) be created?

According to plant health legislation the CHED must be made no later than 4 h (by land from Russia) or 24 hours (all others) before the consignment arrives at the border. The earlier the CHED has been filled in, the smoother the import process will be, as the plant inspectors will be able to perform inspections on the imported consignment immediately.

I sent a CHED to validation by accident. How do I delete it?             

No worries. As long as the document is in a status "NEW", you can delete the document. 

A CHED I sent to validation contains incorrect information. How can I correct it?

If you have already sent a CHED and want to correct the information, you are able to do that as long as the status is New. Take care when filling in the information and keep the CHED as a draft for as long as possible. When you receive more detailed information on the imported consignment, you can complete the CHED and send it to the authorities.  If you change the CHED already sent for a decision once, it must be re-sent for the decision.

I am an importer of wood and timber. In CHED-PP PART I, section I.31. Description of Consignment, I cannot find timber, wood chips or roundwood in the ‘product type’ list. Which product type should I choose?                     

  • Wood chips: Plant products (other)
  • Dust: Plant products (other)
  • Sawdust: Plant products (other)
  • Bark: Plant product (bark)
  • Slabs / miscellaneous waste wood: Plant products (other)
  • Roundwood (fibre, logs): Plant products (other)
  • Sawn timber: Plant products (sawn wood)

Can I see in Traces whether the authorities have taken up a particular import consignment?

When you go to Traces under Certificates – CHED and search for that import consignment in the search field using the CHED number, "Status" appears on the right side. After you send the CHED, the status is "New" (blue). When status changes color, the administrative process has begun.

Can I see in Traces whether the authorities have approved an import consignment?

When you go to Traces under Certificates – CHED and search for that import consignment in the search field using the CHED number, "Status" appears on the right side. When "Status" is "Validated", the consignment is approved.

There may be more than one consignment with phytosanitary certificates in the same means of transport. Can I only make one CHED per means of transport?                 

No, you can't. Each phytosanitary certificate requires unique CHED-PP.

Which company is marked as a consignor when sales are catenated?

In CHED-PP, section I.1. Consignor/Exporter = Same company located in a non-EU country that is marked as the consignor on the phytosanitary certificate.

What if I can’t find the EPPO code for the product even in the category Other?                   

The Commission has recognized that not all plants have an EPPO code. Report the missing plant genera and CN code to the Finnish Food Authority ( If the EPPO code is not found, the closest one is used until the correct code enters the system. You can start writing the genera in the field and try to find the right code.

Is it mandatory to use an EPPO code? What is it?       

EPPO code is mandatory. It is an identifier used by the European and Mediterranean Plant Protection Organisation (EPPO) and Traces to identify plants, pests and pathogens important for agriculture and plant health.

What is put as a recipient to CHED-PP when Russian timber comes to Finland for shipping outside the EU? The non-EU recipient on the Phytosanitary Certificate could not be entered in the system.        

This covers transit consignments. In CHED-PP choose:

I.4. Border control point - the first border control point in Finland (EU)

I.7. Destination - Choose destination organization (not BCP) where the consignment will be stored temporarily in EU. If the consignment is not stored in the EU, leave this field empty.

 I.22. For transit -Destination third coutry, BCP from where the consignment is going to leave EU.


Questions about Control Points (CP)


Where should I report control points (CP) for imports?                     

Website by filling in the application as a control point.

Where can I see control points (CPs) and unloading points reported by the company related to import?       

Available control points can be searched on Traces pages under "Organizations - Controlled destinations". You can search for a control point, e.g. by address.

Do we need to apply for a control point (CP) if the landing point mentioned on the transport document is found in Traces? Does the operator need to be linked to our company?               

If the control point is available in Traces and the operator has requested it to be added, you do not have to ask for the control point to be added. If it is not found in the system, you should ask it to be added there according to the instructions. No linking to your company is required.

We import sawn timber, wood and fibre wood from Russia to several customers in Finland. Delivery locations change constantly. Do I have to report these multiple demolition sites?

The control point does not have to be the same as the destination. The destination of the import consignment must be declared in the phytosanitary entry declaration (CHED-PP) to Traces. If you wish, you can use the same place to check all import consignments.  Only 1% of sawn timber, incineration chips and fibre wood are directed to inspection, so not all destinations need to be reported as control points if such a single site is found.

What information of the control point is placed on the public website?       

Full address, email address and phone number. The list is an alphabetical list of places where plants and timber are inspected. The list does not combine customers (importer/sender) and places. If the control points are not made public, the only possibility is to check the import consignments at the border.

If we, with the permission of our customers, report their contact details as control points, can there be seen on the website the contact between our company and the place of unloading on the premises of this customer?                       

No. It does not matter if the control point is added by customer or your company.

Should we now indicate all possible control points that may have import in the future, or only those to which there are currently imports?       

The new control point must meet the legal requirements, the fulfillment of which shall be checked by the authority before the control point is approved. The control point will be approved no later than two weeks after the application has been made. In order to ensure smooth imports, it is advisable to apply for possible control points in good time.

How long does it take for the control point to appear in the CHED-PP notification selections?                         

The existing control point is already visible. The new control point will be shown in the selection of the CHED-PP notification no later than two weeks after the application is made.


Other questions

I've received several messages from Traces. Why?    

The program automatically sends messages about automated CHED notifications, for example. You can manage messages under Edit your profile in your user profile, "Preferred notification options."

We have no idea who's the administrator in our company. Where can I find the information?                        

From the Organizations menu, you can see all users in your company, including the administrator. That's how you can check who's the head on you. See image below.

A screenshot of TracesNT webpage showing where the Users menu can be find.

How do the plant health entry document (CHED-PP) and the phytosanitary certificate relate to one another?

The CHED-PP is a plant health entry document submitted by an operator; it is a requirement for imports of consignments that require a phytosanitary certificate, as of 14 Dec 2019. A phytosanitary certificate is a certificate issued by an authority in the originating country affirming that the consignment fulfils the plant health criteria set for it.

Is there a test environment where I could practice using the system?     

The system was implemented in Finland without a test environment. Users have found the system to be easy to use. If you think our instructions are insufficient or that further advice is needed, please contact us at

Can the Traces system be accessed outside the EU?

Yes. The system can be used anywhere in the world, in multiple languages. Select the language under your settings. The sending company and receiving authority may each view the system in their own language. However, at the moment it is not possible to use Traces with the Cyrillic alphabet, i.e. in Russian.

Is Traces only accessible with online browsers?

For now, yes. The Commission has not opened an interface that would allow direct integration into the systems of companies or authorities.

I would like to subscribe to Traces newsletter, how can I do it?      

You can report your company's contact details to and enter "I want to e-mail list" in the title field and we'll add your company. The newsletter is in Finnish only.

Does Traces only cover importing?         

For plant and timber products Traces covers imports from non-EU countries.

What's the difference between Traces NT and Traces classic?        

See Finnish Food Authority Traces main page.

Is there a backup for the Traces system if the service does not function? Import batches cannot be left to wait on the border, because delays cost money.                      

It is possible to print CHED-PP forms from Traces system in advance. The right CN-codes need to be chosen to the forms before printing. These forms can be hand filled at the border if the system is down when the consignment arrives there, and the CHED-PP is not made yet. When the system is down and there is not CHED-number (already made CHED-PP) or printed form (No CHED-PP made yet) with the consignment, it is not possible to continue the journey until the system works again.


Advice and guidance

We kindly ask you to send questions and feedback conserning TracesNT (CHED-PP) by e-mail to

Page last updated 6/16/2020