Reference Laboratories of the OIE shall have as their principal mandate to function as a centre of expertise and standardisation for a designated disease(s) or topics
- To store and distribute to national laboratories biological reference products and any other reagents used in the diagnosis and control of the designated disease(s) or topics.
- To develop new procedures for diagnosis and control of the designated disease(s) or topics.
- To gather, process, analyse and disseminate epizootiological data relevant to their speciality.
- To place expert consultants at the disposal of the OIE.
They may also contribute to
- Provision of scientific and technical training for personnel from OIE Member Countries and Territories.
- Provision of diagnostic testing facilities to OIE Member Countries and Territories: In the case of results that are confirmed positive for diseases that are reportable to OIE, the Reference Laboratory should immediately inform the OIE Delegate of the Member Country or Territory from which the samples originated as well as the OIE Headquarters.
- Organisation of scientific meetings on behalf of the OIE.
- Coordination of scientific and technical studies in collaboration with other laboratories or organisations.
- Publication and dissemination of any information in their sphere of competence that may be useful to OIE Members.
About the reference laboratory for crayfish plague
Finnish Food Safety Authority Kuopio was designated as OIE Reference Laboratory for Crayfish plague ( Aphanomyces astaci) in the General Session of OIE in May 2009, with Satu Viljamaa-Dirks as the designated OIE Reference Expert.
There is another OIE Reference Laboratory for Crayfish Plague, CEFAS Weymouth in United Kingdom, with Dr. B. Oidtmann as the designated OIE expert.
Finnish Food Athority Kuopio can assist in
- Diagnosis of acute crayfish plague epidemics from live, frozen or in ethanol preserved samples.
- Confirmation and genotype grouping of isolates of suspected A. astaci training on culture based or molecular diagnostic methods.
- Reference DNA and reference strains of A. astaci.
- Consultation about crayfish plague epidemiology.
Please contact us for detailed agreement of services.
- From 2013 reports can be read on the World Oganisation for Animal Health OIE, Crayfish plague.
- Report of activities 2012 (pdf)
- Report of activities 2011 (pdf)
- Report of activities 2010 (pdf)
- Report of activities 2009 (pdf)
OIE Reference laboratory for crayfish plague
Finnish Food Safety Authority Evira
Research Department Kuopio laboratory
Finland tel +358 29 530 4962
fax +358 29 530 4970