Bakeries, honey producers, cleaners, cafés, drivers, managers

Does a person working in a bakery need a Hygiene Passport?

Yes, if perishable, unpackaged foodstuffs are handled in the bakery, such as meat pastries or egg and rice pastries, meat pies and pizzas. A Hygiene Passport is not required if the raw materials handled or the end products are not perishable foodstuffs, for example bread, rolls, sponge cakes, biscuits, sweet buns. 

Is a honey producer required to have a Hygiene Passport?

Honey that is extracted and packaged is not a perishable food and a Hygiene Passport is not required. A Hygiene Passport is required if the honey producer produces, packages or sells perishable foodstuffs containing honey.

Are cleaners who work on food premises required to have a Hygiene Passport?

No, unless the cleaners take part in the handling of perishable unpackaged foodstuffs. 

Does a café employee have to have a Hygiene Passport if there is no actual preparation of food in the cafe?

Yes, if the employee handles unpackaged, perishable foodstuffs. In cafés, products requiring cold storage (such as salads) and baking (such as preparing and baking ham pies) are often handled, and baguettes and rolls are filled by chopping/slicing raw materials for them (such as cucumber, tomato, cheese, ham, sausage). But, if the café worker for example only serves ready-made dishes and collects the money, a Hygiene Passport is not required.

Is a supervisor or manager required to have a Hygiene Passport? 

Yes, if they work on food premises and handle unpackaged, perishable foodstuffs. 

Is a food business operator required to have a Hygiene Passport?

Hygiene proficiency is required from everyone who works on food premises, including the business operator. An entrepreneur is required to have a hygiene passport if the entrepreneur has work duties that include handling of perishable, unpackaged foodstuffs.

Is a person who transports foodstuffs required to have a Hygiene Passport?

No, as long as the person only transports foodstuffs and does not handle unpackaged, perishable foodstuffs. It is, however, the responsibility of the employer to give the driver sufficient guidance and when necessary training for the tasks related to food hygiene. Some transports can also include handling of unpackaged, perishable foodstuffs, and then a Hygiene Passport is required (such as milk tankers and transports of carcasses).

Page last updated 7/1/2019