When a new control agent, pollinator species or product is marketed, used or imported for the first time, an application for the approval of the species or product concerned must be filed with Finnish Food Authority.
An application for approval must be filed if the control agent or pollinator:
- is not an original species to Finland
- is not included in the EPPO standard PM 6/3
- pollinator species is not widespread in Finland
The application for approval with required annexes must be submitted to Finnish Food Authority no later than three (3) months before the product is marketed, used or imported for the first time. Finnish Food Authority evaluates the safety of the product in terms of plant health and forwards the decision for information to the environmental authorities in view of potential restrictions that may be required under the act of the management of risks caused by alien species.
A separate application for approval must be filed for each individual product. A species-specific application is allowed if the macro-organism concerned has not been fabricated into a product.
An application for extending the purpose of use of a specific control agent or pollinator product must be filed if:
- the product is not included in the Finnish Food Authority's list;
- the organism is planned to be used on plant species other than those indicated in the list maintained by Finnish Food Authority; or
- the use of the organism is planned to be extended from greenhouses to open fields.
No application for approval needs to be filed for extending the purpose of use to cover additional pest species. The application for approval may be filed for several purposes of use (plant species) and environments of use (open field, greenhouse and plastic tunnel) at the same time. The approval procedure and extension of the purpose of use are subject to a charge. For prices, please see the link here.