Food-poisoning bacteria may produce poisonous compounds or toxins either in food or in the human intestines. The Microbiology Unit of Finnish Food Authority analyses bacterial isolates and food samples sent by laboratories for enterotoxins.
- Detection of diarrhoeal-type enterotoxin in bacterial cultures by reversed passive latex agglutination
- Detection of emetic toxin (cereulide) with a sperm bioassay in bacterial cultures, and determination by chemical analysis in food samples in collaboration with the Chemistry and Toxicology Unit
- Detection of toxin gene (cpe) by PCR in bacterial cultures
- Detection of staphylococcal enterotoxins (A, B, C, D and E) in bacterial cultures and food samples, using the VIDAS method
- Satu Hakola, mobile +358 40 524 1974