Would you like to set up a café, restaurant or diner? This page contains instructions on starting a restaurant business.
You can also read the instructions on setting up a restaurant from our written guide
The content of the guide is identical to that of the online training course and is divided into several sections. If you are planning to set up a restaurant, read the sections Setting up and Premises at first.
Below, you can view and print the entire guide or sections of it.
Sections of the guide:
- Introduction to the guide
- Section 1, Setting up: a summary of the information you will need to set up a restaurant
- Section 2, Premises: information on the requirements for restaurant premises.
- Section 3, Operations: requirements for running a restaurant in Finland.
- Section 4, Staff: requirements regarding the personnel working in restaurants.
- Section 5, Own-check plan: information on the required own-check activities of your restaurant. You can use this information to draw up the own-check plan for your restaurant.
- Section 6, Terms: Some words are underlined in the text. You will find their explanations in Section 6.
Additional information and explanations of terms
Links to the additional information referred to in the guide and online training course are available here. Please note that, unfortunately, not all of the information has been translated.
Explanations for the terms underlined in the online training materials and guide can be found here.
Test your knowledge with refresher exercises
- Section 1, Setting up: exercises about setting up a restaurant
- Section 2, Premises: exercises about requirements associated with restaurant premises
- Section 3, Operations: exercises about requirements for restaurant operations
- Section 4, Staff: exercises about restaurant staff
- Section 5, Own-check plan: exercises about own-check system in restaurants
- All exercises
Alcohol licensing and retail sale of tobacco
The serving of alcoholic beverages requires a licence. You can apply for a licence from your local Regional State Administrative Agency.
The retail sale of tobacco products requires a sales permit. The permit is granted by the local municipality. For more information on how to apply for a sales permit, see the Valvira website.