A veterinary certificate will ensure the authorities in the country of destination that your product fulfils the requirements and does not spread animal diseases. The official veterinarian confirms by their signature the information you have filled in on the certificate for the lot. The certificate can only be granted for businesses in the export register of the Food Authority.
Agreed veterinary certificates are found in Kontti and TRACES
The EU and Finland have agreed on model export certificates for the export of animals and products of animal origin with some countries of destination. If such a model certificate is available for your product, that is the one you have to use.
You can find these model certificates in our Kontti service (in Finnish) on the page for the country concerned or in the TRACES system of the European Commission. Please note that, in addition to a certificate, the country of destination may require for example an approval for your establishment before you can start exporting. The requirements that are known to us are found in Kontti.
- If the licence has been negotiated by Finland, the official veterinarian issuing the licence will order a template printed on security paper from the Food Authority.
- If the certificate is in TRACES, you being the exporter will fill in your part of the certificate before the official veterinarian fills in their part.
What to do if there is no agreed model certificate
If there is no official certificate or it is not being negotiated, you as the exporter can, for example in conjunction with your importer, have your own proposal for a certificate approved by the authorities in the country of destination. In these cases, we recommend that you use the general veterinary certificates drawn up by the Food Authority, if there is such a certificate available for your product. You cannot use the Finnish lion seal on certificates that you have formulated yourself.
If the model certificate is not accepted, a certificate tailored for that particular country of destination has to be drawn up for the export. You can order the drafting of the model certificate from the export team of the Food Authority. The job is invoiced according to the price list of the Food Authority, unless it is a question of a certificate for a prioritised market access project or a lighthouse project. All our model certificates can be ordered from the Food Authority.
General health certificates
Before the export you should always check with the authorities in the country of destination that the general health certificate is acceptable.
Send a report by e-mail on the use of the general health certificate to email@example.com every month. Give us the numbering of the certificates you have received, the number of the general certificate (e.g. 004A), export product, country of destination, date of signature and signatory.
Make sure that either you or the authority issuing the certificate will number it using an individual reference number. The number is also to be recorded on the reverse of the page. The certificate number has to be XX/YYYY/OOOO, where
- XX = name of the control authority/control area, its abbreviation or number or the approval number of the establishment (without the letters EC/FIN)
- YYYY = the year the certificate was issued
- OOOO = the sequential number of the control unit or of the establishment so, that two certificates will never have the same number.
Bovine hides and skins (country of slaughter and manufacture: Finland)
- 006A ENG General Health Certificate - bovine hides and skins
- 006B ENG-SPA General Certificado de inspección veterinaria - de cueros y pieles
- 006C ENG-FRA Certificat sanitaire- des cuirs et de peaux de bovins
Eggs and egg products
Fish and fishery products (country of production: Finland)
- 004A ENG General Health Certificate - fish and fishery products
- 004B ENG-SPA General Certificado de inspección veterinaria - productos pesqueros
- 004C ENG-FRA Certificat sanitaire - de poissons et de produits à base de poisson
Game trophies and antlers
- 011A ENG General Health Certificate - game trophies and other preparations solely of bone, horns, hooves, claws, antlers ort teeth of cloven-hoofed animals
Insects and insect products for food uses (country of production: Finland)
- 010A ENG General Health Certificate - insects and insect products for human consumption
- Note! The certificate can also be signed by for example a health inspector
Meat and meat products (country of slaughter and production: Finland)
- 007A ENG General Health Certificate - meat and meat products
- 007B ENG-SPA General Certificado de inspección veterinaria - de carne y productos cárnicos
- 007C ENG-FRA Certificat sanitaire - de viande et de produits à base de viande
Milk and milk products (the milk originates from Finland or the EU, country of production: Finland)
- 005A ENG General Health Certificate - milk and milk products
- 005B ENG-SPA General Certificado de inspección veterinaria - de leche y productos lácteos
- 005C ENG-FRA Certificat sanitaire - de lait et de produits à base de lait