Veterinary certificates

A veterinary certificate will ensure the authorities in the country of destination that your product fulfils the requirements and does not spread animal diseases. The official veterinarian confirms by their signature the information you have filled in on the certificate for the lot. The certificate can only be granted for businesses in the export register of the Food Authority.

Agreed veterinary certificates are found in Kontti and TRACES

The EU and Finland have agreed on model export certificates for the export of animals and products of animal origin with some countries of destination. If such a model certificate is available for your product, that is the one you have to use.

You can find these model certificates in our Kontti service (in Finnish) on the page for the country concerned or in the TRACES system of the European Commission. Please note that, in addition to a certificate, the country of destination may require for example an approval for your establishment before you can start exporting. The requirements that are known to us are found in Kontti.

  • If the licence has been negotiated by Finland, the official veterinarian issuing the licence will order a template printed on security paper from the Food Authority.
  • If the certificate is in TRACES, you being the exporter will fill in your part of the certificate before the official veterinarian fills in their part.

What to do if there is no agreed model certificate

If there is no official certificate or it is not being negotiated, you as the exporter can, for example in conjunction with your importer, have your own proposal for a certificate approved by the authorities in the country of destination. In these cases, we recommend that you use the general veterinary certificates drawn up by the Food Authority, if there is such a certificate available for your product. You cannot use the Finnish lion seal on certificates that you have formulated yourself.

If the model certificate is not accepted, a certificate tailored for that particular country of destination has to be drawn up for the export. You can order the drafting of the model certificate from the export team of the Food Authority. The job is invoiced according to the price list of the Food Authority, unless it is a question of a certificate for a prioritised market access project or a lighthouse project. All our model certificates can be ordered from the Food Authority.

General health certificates

Before the export you should always check with the authorities in the country of destination that the general health certificate is acceptable.

Send a report by e-mail on the use of the general health certificate to every month. Give us the numbering of the certificates you have received, the number of the general certificate (e.g. 004A), export product, country of destination, date of signature and signatory.

Make sure that either you or the authority issuing the certificate will number it using an individual reference number. The number is also to be recorded on the reverse of the page. The certificate number has to be XX/YYYY/OOOO, where

  • XX = name of the control authority/control area, its abbreviation or number or the approval number of the establishment (without the letters EC/FIN)
  • YYYY = the year the certificate was issued
  • OOOO = the sequential number of the control unit or of the establishment so, that two certificates will never have the same number.

Bovine hides and skins (country of slaughter and manufacture: Finland)

Eggs and egg products

Fish and fishery products (country of production: Finland)

Game trophies and antlers

Insects and insect products for food uses (country of production: Finland)

Meat and meat products (country of slaughter and production: Finland)

Milk and milk products (the milk originates from Finland or the EU, country of production: Finland)

Processed protein of animal origin for feed